The City of Oxford Silver Band is a vibrant and busy musical ensemble with a history that dates back to the 1840s. We are especially proud to have taught hundreds of people of all ages to learn an instrument for the first time.
The band rehearses in its own Band Hall (Temple Cowley, Oxford) on a Monday evening.
We play for pleasure, to escape the stresses of everyday life, and to entertain others in the local community. But we want our new conductor to hold us as close to professional standards as we can achieve.
We are a contesting band; however, this has rarely been our main focus; in 1987, we were a championship band, we are currently in the 4th section.
We perform at events all year round and are especially busy around Christmas and the Summer, playing at fêtes and festivals, but also engagements in local venues including Oxford Town Hall, SJE Arts Concert Hall, and the Sheldonian Theatre.
For more information about the City of Oxford Silver Band, please see www.cosb.co.uk.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead Monday evening rehearsals during University term time, and outside of term time if available.
- Attend 3-5 committee meetings per year, as available.
- Liaise with the Musical Director to produce an annual music programme for the Band in a timely manner, and with an eye to developing our repertoire, skills and audience.
- Organize a deputy conductor in the event of missing a rehearsal.
- Work on ensemble development, blend and tuning, and camaraderie.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A talented conductor and player with exceptional conducting, training and coaching skills.
- Experience of conducting a similar Band or Orchestra (in terms of size, experience, standard and repertoire).
- Experience of Orchestral or Band performance at a high level.
- Well networked, with the ability to create workshop or performance opportunities for the band.
- Motivating, professional, dynamic, encouraging and enthusiastic: a dedicated leader with the ability to make rehearsals productive and fun
- Creative, charismatic and ambitious: a source of good ideas to move the Band forward
- Reliable, organized, and able to work cooperatively with other bandmasters and committee members to ensure the smooth running of the Band
- Calm and confident leadership style: able to inspire confidence in others and maintain authority
- A talent for musical detail; able to work constructively with the Band to improve accuracy and blend to deliver high standards of performance
- An articulate, fluent and persuasive speaker: able to communicate well with the Band and our audiences
- A sense of humour and a sense of fun: comfortable socialising with the Band.
Remuneration comprises rehearsal fees, concert fees, and is paid monthly in arrears.
APPLICATION PROCESS AND TIMETABLE
- We hope to have our new conductor in place between September and October 2018
- Applications should arrive no later than Sunday 17th June
- All applications will be acknowledged by email: shortlisted candidates will be informed by Friday 22nd June
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a panel interview and to take a short rehearsal with the Band on the 25th of June. Please keep this day free if possible
- Candidates are requested to send a copy of their C.V., plus a covering letter which addresses: “Why you think you would be a good fit for COSB?” Please provide names and contacts of two referees
- Please send your application by email to both: [email protected] and [email protected]